Investigators: Marilyn Huestis PhD, Melanie Mueller PhD, Erin Kolbrich-Spargo BS/PhD [E. Kolbrich]
This project includes randomized, blinded within-subjects comparisons of the metabolism, subjective and physiological effects of 1 and 1.6 mg/kg MDMA with inactive placebo in healthy volunteers. Blood and urine sample are used to gain information about MDMA pharmacokinetics. Comparison between human and primate metabolism of MDMA are also examined.
- Abraham TT, Barnes AJ, Lowe RH, Kolbrich Spargo EA, Milman G, Pirnay SO, Gorelick DA, Goodwin RS, Huestis MA (2009) Urinary MDMA, MDA, HMMA, and HMA excretion following controlled MDMA administration to humans. Journal of analytical toxicology 33:439-446.
- Kolbrich EA, Goodwin RS, Gorelick DA, Hayes RJ, Stein EA, Huestis MA (2008) Physiological and subjective responses to controlled oral 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine administration. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology 28:432-440.
- Kolbrich EA, Goodwin RS, Gorelick DA, Hayes RJ, Stein EA, Huestis MA (2008) Plasma pharmacokinetics of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine after controlled oral administration to young adults. Therapeutic drug monitoring 30:320-332.
- Mueller M, Kolbrich EA, Peters FT, Maurer HH, McCann UD, Huestis MA, Ricaurte GA (2009) Direct comparison of (+/-) 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (“ecstasy”) disposition and metabolism in squirrel monkeys and humans. Therapeutic monitoring 31:367-373.
- Mueller M, Peters FT, Huestis MA, Ricaurte GA, Maurer HH (2009) Simultaneous liquid chromatographic-electrospray ionization mass spectrometric quantification of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, Ecstasy) and its metabolites 3,4-dihydroxymethamphetamine, 4-hydroxy-3-methoxymethamphetamine and 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine in squirrel monkey and human plasma after acidic conjugate cleavage. Forensic Sci Int 184:64-68.