Summary: Chris Kresser of Revolution Health Radio interviews MDMA researcher Dr. Michael Mithoefer about his background as a psychiatrist working on clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy. Dr. Mithoefer shares his experience working on Phase 2 clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD and his involvement in a pilot study for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy for couples with one member having chronic PTSD.
Originally appearing here.
Conventional treatment for PTSD often means suppressing the symptoms associated with the disorder, rather than treating the underlying cause. In this episode of Revolution Health Radio, I talk with Dr. Michael Mithoefer about how MDMA, given in conjunction with psychotherapy, can address the root cause of PTSD for some individuals.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Mithoefer’s background with MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- How PTSD differs from anxiety and depression
- What MDMA does for people with PTSD
- The treatment protocol for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- FDA approval and Dr. Mithoefer’s clinical trials
- The stigma around MDMA
- When this PTSD treatment may be available to the public