Sometimes, you just have to stand your ground.
This Friday, after almost 11 years of legal proceedings, administrative hearings, and bureaucratic delays, the legal team representing Prof. Lyle Craker will finally have the chance to stand before a federal court and present the case for their federal lawsuit against the Drug Enforcement Administration to open the door for medical marijuana research.
In the May 2012 edition of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) Email Newsletter, you’ll find the latest updates about our medical marijuana and psychedelic research and how we’re working overtime to make these powerful tools into legally available treatments.
- The first subject has a successful treatment in our relapse study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD
- The FDA gives official clearance for our new study MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD in Boulder, Colorado
- The New York Times, FOX News, and CNN spotlight research into how psychedelic therapy could help people face death
- MAPS gets ready to host a free lecture and discussion on May 31 at the University of California, San Francisco
In the last 12 months, MAPS has gained almost 10,000 followers on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and YouTube.
Please share this newsletter, spread the word about our work, and be a part of this exciting medical frontier.
MAPS Director of Communications
- U.S. Relapse Study: First Subject Completes Follow-Up Evaluation after Successful Treatment
- U.S. Intern Study: DEA Conducts Inspection of MDMA Storage Facility, FDA Gives Official Go-Ahead
- U.S. Proof of Principle Study: Revised Long-Term Follow-Up Paper Submitted to Scientific Journal
- U.S. Veterans Study: Revised Budget Completed, Seventh Subject Treated
- DEA Approves License for MDMA Transfer to New Storage Facility
- Medical Marijuana Production Facility: DEA Lawsuit Reply Brief Submitted, Oral Arguments May 11
- Medical Marijuana for PTSD: Israeli Study Results Presented at Clinical Cannabis Conference
- LSD-Assisted Therapy for End-of-Life Anxiety: Annual Report Submitted to FDA
- The New York Times: How Psychedelic Drugs Can Help Patients Face Death
- FOX News: Doctors Consider Using Street Drugs to Ease Suffering of Dying Patients
- Truthout: FDA Loosens Stranglehold on Psychedelic Research to Treat Psychiatric Illness
- BBC News: Can a Hallucinogen from Africa Cure Addiction?
- Video: Music, Art, and Psychedelic Education at MAPS First Friday Art Tour
- Video: CNN Explores Psychedelic Therapy for Cancer Patients
- Video: Ayahuasca Science and Politics in Chile
- Historic Sensory Deprivation Tank Owned by Timothy Leary: Auction to Benefit MAPS Research
- MDMA-Assisted Therapy for PTSD: Free Lecture and Discussion: May 31, 2012, San Francisco, CA
- Free Psychedelic and Holotropic Teleseminar with Stanislav Grof: May 8, 2012
- Healing Our Deepest Wounds: 5-Week Global Teleseminar with Stanislav Grof: May 15-June 12, 2012
MDMA-Assisted Therapy for PTSD Research:
Medical Marijuana Research:
MDMA-Assisted Therapy for PTSD Research
1. U.S. Relapse Study: First Subject Completes Follow-Up Evaluation after Successful Treatment
On April 27, 2012, the first subject completed their follow-up interview in our ongoing relapse study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD in two or three subjects whose symptoms returned several years after participating in our completed U.S. proof of principle study. The results suggest that people who relapse after the initial series of treatments could benefit substantially from a single additional MDMA-assisted psychotherapy session. Read more…
2. U.S. Intern Study: DEA Conducts Inspection of MDMA Storage Facility, FDA Gives Official Go-Ahead
On May 4, 2012, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration notified the MAPS clinical team that our upcoming intern study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD in Boulder, Colorado has been formally cleared for initiation. The use of interns is an effort both to reduce costs and to train the next generation of psychedelic psychotherapists. Read more…
On May 3, 2012, an official from the Denver office of the Drug Enforcement Administration conducted an inspection of the facility that will store the MDMA for the study. The inspection is required to establish that the MDMA storage site is adequately secure and compliant with federal regulations. Read more…
3. U.S. Proof of Principle Study: Revised Long-Term Follow-Up Paper Submitted to Scientific Journal
On April 16, 2012, Dr. Michael Mithoefer, the lead investigator for our recently completed long-term follow-up of subjects who participated in the initial U.S. proof of principle study, submitted a revised version of the paper in response to comments from reviewers. The follow-up, conducted an average of 3½ years after the last MDMA-assisted psychotherapy session, found that the benefits persisted over time. Read more…
4. U.S. Veterans Study: Revised Budget Completed, Seventh Subject Treated
We have expanded our ongoing U.S. study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for veterans with PTSD from 16 to 24 subjects, added the possibility of enrolling local firefighters and police officers with work-related PTSD, and revised and updated the budget to accommodate the study expansion. We have incorporated into this budget more precise cost estimates based on a review of the actual costs of treating the initial subjects. We have already raised $600,000, and are seeking the additional $650,000 needed to complete this study. Read more…
5. DEA Approves License for MDMA Transfer to New Storage Facility
On April 23, 2012, we learned that the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration had approved the application for a Schedule I MDMA distributor’s license by a contract research firm specializing in synthetic, organic, and medicinal chemistry. This will enable us to transfer the supply of MDMA we use in our U.S. clinical studies to this new facility. Without an alternative location to store and distribute the MDMA, it would have been destroyed. Read more…
Medical Marijuana Research
6. Medical Marijuana Production Facility: DEA Lawsuit Reply Brief Submitted, Oral Arguments on May 11
On May 4, 2012, the legal team representing Prof. Lyle Craker submitted their reply brief (PDF) in his federal lawsuit against the DEA. Oral arguments in the case will be presented on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 9:30 A.M. at the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, Mass. Read more or download our official press release (PDF).
7. Medical Marijuana for PTSD: Israeli Study Results Presented at Clinical Cannabis Conference
On April 28, 2012, the results of a recently completed exploratory study of medical marijuana in veterans with PTSD were presented (PDF) by Dr. Mordechai Mash
iah at the 7th National Clinical Conference on Cannabis Therapeutics, hosted by Patients Out of Time in Tucson, Ariz. The study was sponsored by the Israeli Ministry of Health. Read more…
8. LSD-Assisted Therapy for End-of-Life Anxiety: Annual Report Submitted to FDA
On May 2, 2012, the MAPS clinical team submitted to the FDA the annual report (PDF) for our ongoing long-term follow-up to our Swiss study of LSD-assisted psychotherapy for anxiety associated with life-threatening illness. The report summarizes the current status of the study, including information about enrollment and subject demographics, amendments to the study protocol, and the occurrence of any adverse events associated with participation in the study. Read more…
Dive in to MAPS in the Media for the latest psychedelic and medical marijuana research news.
9. The New York Times: How Psychedelic Drugs Can Help Patients Face Death
A stirring article from the front page of The New York Times Magazine sheds light on how psychedelic-assisted therapy can help people with life-threatening illness overcome their anxiety and fear of death. (April 20, 2012)
10. FOX News: Doctors Consider Using Street Drugs to Ease Suffering of Dying Patients
FOX News “Medical A-Team” member Dr. Keith Ablow takes a refreshingly sober and positive look at the promise of psychedelic-assisted therapy to help people overcome anxiety related to life-threatening illness. (April 24, 2012)
11. Truthout: As FDA Loosens Stranglehold on Research, Studies Use Hallucinogens to Treat Psychiatric Illness
Popular media outlet Truthout reports on the worldwide surge in scientific interest in the therapeutic value of psychedelics, from LSD and MDMA to ketamine and psilocybin. (April 24, 2012)
12. BBC News: Can a Hallucinogen from Africa Cure Addiction?
In this BBC News feature story, real patients and leading scientists discuss what it will take to make ibogaine and other psychedelics available as legitimate medicines for the people they could help most. Learn more about ibogaine treatment for addiction. (April 13, 2012)
13. Video: CNN Explores Psychedelic Therapy for Cancer Patients
CNN explores the use of psychedelic-assisted therapy to help cancer sufferers overcome their anxiety about illness. Watch the video…
14. Video: Ayahuasca Science and Politics in Chile
The International Center for Ethnobotanical Education, Research, and Service (ICEERS) releases a trailer from the first part of a cinematographic project about ayahuasca, a plant used in traditional ancestral ceremonies in the Amazon, and efforts to develop its therapeutic potential in North America and Europe. Watch the trailer (English subtitles available).
15. Video: MAPS First Friday Art Tour, April 2012
On April 6, 2012, MAPS hosted an event for Santa Cruz’s First Friday Art Tour, featuring breathtaking artwork, a psychedelic research discussion, live music, belly dancing, and much more. Watch the video...
16. Historic Sensory Deprivation Tank Owned by Timothy Leary: Auction to Benefit MAPS Research
Timothy Leary’s sensory deprivation tank,
now available on eBay.
John Lilly, Timothy Leary, and Glenn Perry
This historically significant and fully functional sensory deprivation tank given by Dr. John Lilly to Timothy Leary is up for auction on eBay, with proceeds going to support MAPS research. This is your once-in-a-lifetime chance to join an impressive lineage of consciousness explorers while supporting MAPS’ world-changing psychedelic research. Bidding begins on May 17 and ends May 27 at midnight. View the eBay listing.
Watch our Events Calendar for more upcoming events at the intersection of science, medicine, and art.
17. MDMA-Assisted Therapy for PTSD: Free Lecture and Discussion: May 31, 2012, San Francisco
18. Psychedelic and Holotropic Teleseminars with Stanislav Grof: May-June, 2012
FREE Psychedelic and Holotropic Teleseminar with Stanislav Grof: May 8, 2012
Information and registration
Healing Our Deepest Wounds: 5-Week Global Teleseminar with Stanislav Grof: May 15-June 12, 2012
Information and registration