First Subject Enrolled in New Israeli Study
of MDMA-Assisted Therapy for PTSD:
MAPS Email Newsletter
March 13, 2013
When we asked Amazonian medicine researcher Dr. Jacques Mabit what he was most excited to discover at Psychedelic Science 2013, here’s what he had to say:
Award-winning doctor and educator Dr. James Doty
will address Compassion, Caring, and
Psychedelics: On the Forefront of Science on
Saturday, April 20 at Psychedelic Science 2013
An encounter between these two complementary points of view [the scientific and the spiritual] is what I hope to find at [Psychedelic Science 2013]…to expand our vision, and formulate even more effective therapeutic protocols adequate to respond to the health issues and existential troubles of our real world.
Our international research into treating PTSD with MDMA-assisted psychotherapy is making major strides, with the first subject enrolled in our new Israeli study and the 13th enrolled in our ongoing study for U.S. veterans, firefighters, and police officers. These Phase 2 studies are laying the groundwork—the knowledge and therapeutic expertise—for much larger Phase 3 studies intended to make MDMA-assisted psychotherapy a legally available treatment for PTSD.
In the March 2013 edition of the MAPS Email Newsletter, you’ll find:
- The first subject is enrolled in our new Israeli study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD
- The 13th subject—a firefighter with chronic, treatment-resistant PTSD—is enrolled in our ongoing U.S. study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for U.S. veterans, firefighters, and police officers with PTSD
- The protocol for our planned study of MDMA-assisted therapy for social anxiety in autistic adults is submitted to the FDA
- Fox News highlights Psychedelic Science 2013 and the extraordinary range of research results and scientific breakthroughs to be shared over the 5-day event
- The newest MAPS-published book, the 40th anniversary edition of Claudio Naranjo’s pioneering work The Healing Journey, is available for pre-order in the MAPS Store (release date: April 19, 2013)
Subscribe to our updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, and visit our YouTube channel for videos about everything from LSD and medical marijuana to psychedelic harm reduction.
Psychedelic Science 2013 is just five weeks away—I can’t wait to see you there..
MAPS Director of Communications
- Israel: First Subject Enrolled
- U.S. Veterans Study: Second Firefighter Receives MDMA-Assisted Therapy
- Social Anxiety in Autistic Adults: Protocol Submitted to FDA
- How Do You Make Our Work Possible?
- Exhibitor Space at Psychedelic Science 2013 Nearing Capacity: Reserve Your Space Soon
- Become an Official Supporter of Psychedelic Science 2013
- PSYCHEDELIC SCIENCE 2013: April 18-23, 2013, Oakland, CA
- Breaking Convention: July 12-14, London, England
- Ninth International Amazonian Shamanism Conference: July 21-27,
- The Boston Globe: Doctors Call for Study of Marijuana
- Fox News: Psychedelic Conference Aims High With Science
- NPR: UMass Professor Blocked from Growing Marijuana for Medical Research
- AirTalk: Easing End-of-Life Anxiety with Psychedelic Drugs
- Book Review: The Psychedelic Renaissance by Ben Sessa, M.D.
- COMING SOON: The Healing Journey: Pioneering Approaches to Psychedelic Therapy by Claudio Naranjo
Treating PTSD with MDMA-Assisted Therapy:
MDMA-Assisted Therapy for Social Anxiety in Autistic Adults:
New in the MAPS Store:
Psychedelic Science 2013 presenter and Amazonian medicine researcher Jacques Mabit, M.D.
shares why he studies psychedelics, what his research is showing, and
what he’s most excited to experience in Oakland this April. Learn about Jacques’ research.
TREATING PTSD WITH MDMA-ASSISTED PSYCHOTHERAPY
Learn more about treating PTSD with MDMA-assisted psychotherapy on or at mdmaptsd.org.
Digital artist Android Jones will lead a full-day live art and digital
painting workshop at Psychedelic Science 2013.
Space is limited—register today!
1. Israel: First Subject Enrolled
On February 12, 2013, the first subject was enrolled in our new Israeli study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD. This study will enroll 10 subjects with chronic, treatment-resistant PTSD, some of whom will be referred by the Israeli Defence Forces. This study is taking place at Beer Ya’akov Mental Hospital, and is led by Principal Investigator Moshe Kotler, M.D. Learn more…
$468,000 estimated study cost / $428,00 still needed
Clinical Investigator Keren Tzarfaty, Ph.D.(c) will give an update on our Israeli study on Saturday, April 20 at Psychedelic Science 2013.
2. U.S. Veterans Study: Second Firefighter Receives MDMA-Assisted Therapy
On March 2, 2013, the 13th subject of 24 received their first experimental session in our ongoing study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for veterans, firefighters, and police officers with service-related PTSD. This subject is the second firefighter with chronic, treatment-resistant PTSD to be enrolled in this study. Learn more…
$1,258,000 estimated study cost / $473,000 still needed
Join Principal Investigator Michael Mithoefer, M.D., and co-therapist Annie Mithoefer, B.S.N., for a full-day workshop on Thursday, April 18 at Psychedelic Science 2013.
Join the Women’s Visionary Congress
for an all-day workshop on
Women’s Experiences of Psychedelics
at Psychedelic Science 2013
MDMA-ASSISTED THERAPY FOR SOCIAL ANXIETY IN AUTISTIC ADULTS
3. Social Anxiety in Autistic Adults: Protocol Submitted to FDA
On February 28, 2013, the protocol (full protocol | synopsis) for our planned study of MDMA-assisted therapy for social anxiety in autistic adults was submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for review. This will be a MAPS-sponsored collaborative study between Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and the Stanford University School of Medicine. Social anxiety is prevalent in autistic adults, and often compounds t
he considerable social challenges faced by autistic adults. The main objective of this study is to collect data on the safety of MDMA-assisted therapy in autistic adults, and to use standard clinical measures to estimate the extent to which MDMA-assisted therapy may reduce social anxiety symptoms in this group. Even though we did attempt to obtain external funding from a private foundation, our letter of intent was rejected. Please consider donating to help complete this study. Learn more…
$256,000 estimated study cost / $256,000 still needed
Alicia Danforth, Ph.D.(c), will present the results of her research on the MDMA experiences of adults on the autism spectrum on Saturday, April 20 at Psychedelic Science 2013.
4. How Do You Make Our Work Possible?
In February and the first few days of March, 215 generous donors gave a total of $116,188 to support our work. An anonymous donor gave $40,000 in general support; MAPS Board Member David Bronner and Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps gave $25,000 in general support and $5,000 to support international presenters at Psychedelic Science 2013; Ian Brown gave $15,000 in general support; the Michael & Anita Siegal Family Foundation donated $4,000 (and pledged an additional $4,000) in support of our Israeli MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD study; and an anonymous couple gave $5,000 to support our new MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD study in Boulder, Colo. Michelle & Ian Glass gave $2,000 to help complete our work on the observational study of ibogaine treatment for addiction in Mexico. Those giving between $1,000 and $1,250 included Mark Hines, Ivan & Ann Kruglak, Ben Warner for general support, Shaunus Brousek for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD, and the Bill Muster Foundation for Psychedelic Science 2013 presenter costs. Why give to MAPS?
Help us make psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medicines—donate today!
5. Exhibitor Space at Psychedelic Science 2013 Nearing Capacity: Reserve Your Space Soon
Generate year round interest for your company, product, or organization by signing up as an exhibitor at Psychedelic Science 2013. Spaces are limited and we are rapidly reaching capacity so act now. This will be an opportunity to network with the greater psychedelic science community while showcasing your business on a historically bustling weekend in the San Francisco Bay. See our Supporter Brochure for full details, or contact Brian Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
6. Become an Official Supporter of Psychedelic Science 2013
Thank you to all who are making Psychedelic Science 2013 possible by becoming an official Supporter. To find out how you can get your company or organization name in front of like-minded people while supporting your favorite part of the conference, contact Virginia Wright at email@example.com.
Psychedelic Science 2013 Supporters
Looking for more ways to get involved? Check out our Student Resources page!
7. PSYCHEDELIC SCIENCE 2013: April 18-23, 2013, Oakland, CA
Psychedelic Science 2013 is just five weeks away. Don’t miss out—register today!
Award-winning doctor and educator Dr. James Doty
ll address “Compassion, Caring, and
Psychedelics: On the Forefront of Science” on
Saturday, April 20 at Psychedelic Science 2013
- Over 1,000 attendees from around the world (and counting!)
- Over 100 confirmed speakers from 15 countries
- 60 presentations qualify for Continuing Education for psychologists, social workers, MFTs, and nurses
- Up to 8.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ are available for physicians in Continuing Medical Education (CME) presentations
- Sunset Cruise on the San Francisco Bay
- Saturday Night Dinner, Address by Dr. James Doty, Tribute to Myron Stolaroff, & Performance by Phadroid
- The Marketplace of Goods and Ideas (free and open to the public), featuring the Evening Moonlight Café, Tea House, MAPS Art Gallery, Silent Auction, book signings, poster sessions, and over 30 exhibitors
Oakland Marriott Sold Out—Discount Rooms Now Available at Nearby Waterfront Hotel
The conference hotel has sold out of discounted rooms (there may be a few full-price rooms available). We have now set aside 30 rooms at the nearby Waterfront Hotel for a remarkably discounted rate of $119 for double occupancy. The Waterfront Hotel is located in Jack London Square, a 12-minute walk from the Oakland Marriott. Many rooms have views of the San Francisco Bay. A free shuttle runs between the two hotels during the day.
|Register soon—don’t miss out!||RSVP on|
8. Breaking Convention: July 12-14, London, England
Join MAPS Executive Director Rick Doblin, Ph.D., MDMA-assisted psychotherapy researcher Michael Mithoefer, M.D., and dozens of other international experts on psychedelic science and culture at Breaking Convention.
9. Ninth International Amazonian Shamanism Conference: July 21-27, 2013, Iquitos, Peru
See our Events Calendar for more!
Explore MAPS in the Media for even more psychedelic and medical marijuana research news.
10. The Boston Globe: Doctors Call for Study of Marijuana | view
Chelsea Conaboy | March 9, 2013
11. Fox News: Psychedelic Conference Aims High With Science | view
Chris Kilham | February 26, 2013
12. NPR: UMass Professor Blocked from Growing Marijuana for Medical Research | view
Deborah Becker and Lynn Joliceur | February 21, 2013
13. AirTalk: Easing End-of-Life Anxiety with Psychedelic Drugs | view
Southern California Public Radio | February 19, 2013
Charles Grob, M.D., of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and UCLA School of Medicine will present the results of his research into psilocybin as a treatment for patients with advanced-stage cancer anxiety on Sunday, April 21, at Psychedelic Science 2013. Register today!
14. BOOK REVIEW: The Psychedelic Renaissance by Ben Sessa, M.D. | view
Ben Sessa will give an update on our efforts to start MDMA-assisted psychotherapy research for PTSD in the UK on Saturday, April 20 at Psychedelic Science 2013. Watch Ben Sessa talk about his research for Psychedelic Science & Me.
NEW IN THE MAPS STORE
All proceeds from the MAPS Store support psychedelic and medical marijuana research and education!
15. COMING SOON: The Healing Journey by Claudio Naranjo
The Healing Journey:
by Claudio Naranjo, M.D.
Second Edition with a new Foreword by Rick Doblin, Ph.D.
“In this remarkable book, Chilean-American psychiatrist Claudio Naranjo takes us on a scientific adventure through his groundbreaking research into new experiential methods of psychotherapy facilitated by psychedelic substances. The Healing Journey reveals these consciousness-expanding compounds to be fascinating therapeutic tools that are now—40 years after the original publication—gaining wider recognition in Western clinical and academic circles.”
—Stanislav Grof, M.D., author of LSD Psychotherapy
$16.95 | Pre-order today
To be released April 19, 2013, at Psychedelic Science 2013
Help MAPS make psychedelics and medical marijuana legally available medicines—check out our current volunteer opportunities!