Summary: Dave Asprey of Bulletproof Executive Radio interviews MAPS Founder Rick Doblin, Ph.D., about how psychedelic research opens new avenues to integrating psychedelics into science, medicine, and spirituality. They talk about current clinical studies into the beneficial uses of psychedelics, and explore Doblin’s vision for a post-prohibition world.
Originally appearing here.
Rick Doblin is the Founder and Executive Director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), a non-profit research and educational group that he started in 1986 to develop medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful use of psychedelics and marijuana. Rick has a Ph.D. in Public Policy from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, and also studied under Dr. Stanislav Grof, becoming one of the first practitioners to be certified in Holotropic Breathing. Rick works to progress the research and education behind the benefits of psychedelics and marijuana primarily as prescription medicines, but also for personal growth for otherwise healthy people.
Why you should listen –
Rick comes on Bulletproof Radio for an extended episode to discuss the safe use of psychedelics as medicine, floatation tanks and Holotropic Breathing as psychedelic alternatives, the dark side of recreational psychedelic substances, and the therapeutic use of substances such as psilocybin, MDMA, ayahuasca, and cannabis. Enjoy the show!
What You Will Hear
- 0:14 – Cool Fact of the Day!
- 0:58 – Welcome Rick Doblin
- 2:41 – Why Rick studies psychedelics
- 8:32 – Psychedelic therapy
- 17:07 – The illegalization of psychedelic substances
- 19:15 – The safe use of psychedelics as medicine
- 26:00 – Isolation and Floatation tanks
- 32:25 – The dark side of psychedelics
- 34:30 – Recreational vs. therapeutic use
- 40:53 – The irrational Labrador part of your brain
- 49:41 – Bonus Cool Facts of the Day!
- 53:06 – Integrating science, religion, and spirituality with psychedelics
- 55:06 – Psilocybin: the magic mushrooms
- 59:52 – Intuition and the balancing of rationalism
- 1:08:47 – Psychedelics and addiction
- 1:14:33 – Therapeutic uses of Ecstasy, Molly, and MDMA
- 1:28:00 – Medicinal uses of cannabis
- 1:33:40 – Psychedelic research and human rights
- 1:34:36 – DMT and Ayahuasca