Psilocybin Effects on Attention, Perception and Cognition
Psychiatric University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland...
Dr. Vollenweider and colleagues continue to study the neural correlates of consciousness and the effects of psilocybin on visual perception, attention, working memory, and time perception. Other studies will use EEG or positron emission tomography (PET) imaging.. Several published reports describe research findings, and other reports are forthcoming, or studies are underway at present.
- Carter OL, Pettigrew JD, Burr DC, Alais D, Hasler F, Vollenweider FX. (2004) Psilocybin impairs high-level but not low-level motion perception. Neuroreport 15:1947-1951.
- Carter OL, Pettigrew JD, Hasler F, Wallis GM, Liu GB, Hell D, Vollenweider FX. (2005) Modulating the rate and rhythmicity of perceptual rivalry alternations with the mixed 5-HT2A and 5-HT1A agonist psilocybin. Neuropsychopharmacology 30: 1154-1162.
- Carter OL, Burr DC, Pettigrew JD, Wallis GM, Hasler F, Vollenweider FX. (2005) Using Psilocybin to Investigate the Relationship between Attention, Working Memory, and the Serotonin 1A and 2A Receptors. J Cogn Neurosci 17:1497-1508.
- Wittmann M, Carter O, Hasler F, Cahn BR, Grimberg U, Spring P, Hell D, Flohr H, Vollenweider FX. (2007) Effects of psilocybin on time perception and temporal control of behaviour in humans. J Psychopharmacol 21 50-64.
- Vollenweider FX, Csomor PA, Knappe B, Geyer MA, Quednow BB. (2007) The effects of the preferential 5-HT2A agonist psilocybin on prepulse inhibition of startle in healthy human volunteers depend on interstimulus interval. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007 Published online before print.